Zero deforestation for HP paper and paper-based packaging


As a leading global provider of printers, paper is critical to HP’s business. HP’s Sustainable Paper and Wood Policy was the first forestry policy published by an IT company. In 2020, HP achieved zero deforestation for 99% of HP brand paper and paper-based product packaging with the remaining 1% assessed to ensure reported fiber usage meets HP’s Sustainable Paper and Wood Policy. HP brand paper has been deforestation free since 2016.

Scope of Work

WWF and HP will review HP’s fiber procurement goals, risk analyses, and implementation plans for paper and paper-based packaging and forest products in other HP products to ensure HP maintains its zero-deforestation sourcing goals with a continued preference for Forest Stewardship Council® -certified fiber. WWF will also work with HP on cross-industry collaboration to demonstrate scientific and viable approaches to keeping forest ecosystems healthy and engage industry partners to take action to protect and restore forests. HP is also contributing to the development of science-based targets for forests and land at the global level while piloting bottom-up target development in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest. Finally, HP is supporting the creation of tools to help companies estimate the climate, water, and biodiversity benefits associated with various conservation efforts.